Monday, November 1, 2010

Roasted Acorn Squash Soup, coconut milk/apple/curry

This turned out even more delicious than I had imagined in my head when I was thinking about making soup yesterday.

For some reason, Sundays have become "soup day" around here and I must say I am enjoying it a LOT.

So here's what I did:

1 acorn squash, roasted*
EVOO
1 onion, diced
1 honeycrisp apple, peeled & diced
splash white wine/apple juice/bourbon/whatever to deglaze pan
32 oz. chicken broth
1/2 can (about 7 oz) coconut milk
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg (eyeball it -- I just grate into the soup, so I don't really measure)
1/2 - 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (if desired)
salt/pepper


Saute onion in olive oil until nice and golden, almost totally caramelized.  Add splash of white wine/bourbon/apple juice (whatever you've got) to deglaze the pan.  Throw in the apples and simmer for a minute or two to let them soak up some of the winey flavor.  Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, and simmer for -- oh I don't know -- 10? 15? minutes (until the apple is soft and the time that takes will depend on how big your apple is cut. hint: smaller cuts = less time).

When it's done, puree with the immersion blender (seriously, just buy one, I bet you can find one cheap on Ebay and it's so much easier than blending soup in a blender!) and adjust seasonings as necessary.

I added a bit of pumpkin puree simply because I had some in my fridge.

This turned out SO DELICIOUS.  I added habanero hot sauce to my bowl, but my husband enjoyed his as-is and told me "This tastes like pumpkin pie".

Indeed.

*to roast an acorn squash, cut it into halves or quarters, remove the seeds, smear with evoo and roast in the oven at about 425 for about 45 minutes, or until it's soft.  Easy. Peasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment