Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chili Soup

Many years ago, I dated someone whose mother made this soup and I immediately needed the recipe.  It was just so comforting and so good.  I've made it about once or twice a year since (no idea why I don't make it more often -- just one of those things, I guess).  His mom was someone who made really delicious "Better Homes and Gardens" type meals.  You know the ones: easy, comforting, recognizable.  No fancy ingredients.  No complicated techniques.  Just simple American food cooked well.  I loved her cooking.

Anyway ... the chili soup (which, I believe, she called "Chili") is ridiculously easy, inexpensive, makes a TON and is sooooo comforting and tasty.  Especially on a rainy night like tonight.

Ingredients
2 lbs ground beef
chile powder (about a heaping Tablespoon)
cumin (a few teaspoons)
red pepper flakes (to taste)
garlic powder (I'd say ... a teaspoon)
oregano (just a pinch)
chopped garlic (to taste)
2 cans beef broth
3 cans stewed tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans (drained)
1 onion, cut in half from pole-to-pole, and then sliced from pole to pole, making long, curvy "strips"
1 bag frozen corn
salt/pepper/garlic salt

Brown ground beef with spices and garlic in a 6 quart soup pot.  I estimate the spices because I never got the amounts, so I just put enough in so it tastes "right".  You'll know when you taste it if it needs more this or that.

Add the remaining ingredients and simmer a few minutes until the onions are soft, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes if you desire.  Serve with cornbread, or Fritos and maybe even some shredded cheese.

It's so simple and just so comforting and good.  The crispy corn, the soft beans, it's just brothy enough, but not too brothy.  My kids devoured it tonight -- the 20 month old had 2 bowls.

I consider that a major success.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment