Sunday, October 17, 2010

Green Beans, bacon/almonds/bourbon

These are a few of my favorite things!

1 lb petite green beans, cut into thirds
2 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4" strips
1/2 white onion, diced
1/4 cup raw almonds, cut into pieces (however big you choose)
Bourbon (include additional for your own glass, of course)
EVOO
salt/pepper/No Salt Seasoning

Okay, so first off I have to address my love for Costco's Organic No Salt Seasoning because I put it on EVERYTHING and it makes EVERYTHING taste better ... you will not regret buying it.  I swear.  It's amazing.

Put the bacon into a cold pan and turn your burner to medium-low.  The key to bacon happiness is to let the fat slowly render out (so the fat can render out before the meat part of the bacon overcooks).  About halfway through (the doneness to your particular liking, mine being "almost burned"), throw the almonds into the pan.

When the bacon is done, remove the bacon and the almonds to a dish.

Add some EVOO (as much as you like, and if you need to -- you may have enough bacon fat to saute the onions and not need to add any) and saute the onions on medium-high until a little soft.  Throw in the green beans, coat them in the oniony oil and reduce heat to medium.  Add your Bourbon.  How much?  I don't know -- how much do you want?  I'd estimate about 1/4 cup or so.  Add your salt/pepper/No Salt Seasoning.

The beans take different times every time I cook them.  I'd estimate they take at least 15 minutes or so because I am way too lazy to blanch them first.

Put a lid on them, stirring occasionally, and they will get done to your liking in good time.  When done, add back the almonds and bacon and adjust seasonings (with more pepper, for example, if you're like me and think there's no such thing as too much black pepper).

So delicious with the salty chew from the bacon and the toasted crunch of the almond.

A great way to eat your vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment