Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Italian Meatball Soup (aka Minstrone With Meat)

So I was completely uninspired for dinner today.  I wanted comfort food.  My muffin tops said: "Make a salad".

I did not want salad.

So ... I whipped up this little number.  It's absolutely delicious, and so ... I share.

Ingredients

EVOO (about 2 T. or so)
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 - 3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced into 1/4" slices
3 bay leaves (maybe 4 -- I love bay, I use loads)
splash of white wine (whatever you're drinking)
pinch (about 1/2 tsp) Italian Seasoning
1 can stewed tomatoes (Italian style)
1 red potato, diced (skin on)
3 - 4 summer squash of your choosing, diced (I used Mexican grey - use what you want)
3 carrots, cut into pieces of your choosing (I like cutting carrot into 1/4ths lengthwise, then sliced)
2 - 3 T. Better Than Bouillon, beef flavor (or just omit water and use beef broth instead - whatever you've got!)
2 - 3 Quarts water (however much you need -- I used a 6 qt stock pot so I probably used about 3 quarts water)
1.5 lbs ground beef
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1 egg
1/2 - 1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 c noodles of your choosing (I used alphabet noodles)
1 bag (6 oz, I believe) baby spinach
1/8 c. parmesan
salt/pepper

Saute onion/garlic/celery/bay leaf in evoo over med-high heat until softened.  Add white wine and let reduce about 30 seconds.  Add the tomatoes, potato, squash, carrots, Italian seasoning and salt/pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil.

While waiting for the soup to boil, assemble meatballs -- mix beef, bread crumbs, egg, garlic salt, basil, black pepper and salt (if you have fresh herbs - great! I didn't, so I used dry. Use what you have! If you have fresh parsley, use that, fresh oregano? use that!). 

When soup comes to a boil, gradually add meatballs (I use a small cookie scoop - 1.5 tablespoons - and just scoop and drop).  Reduce heat and let simmer uncovered about 1 hour.

Add the pasta and spinach and cook until pasta is done (about 8 minutes).  Add beans and parmesan and let "warm up" for about 5 minutes.

Season to taste with additional salt/pepper (or fresh herbs if you have them -- fresh basil would be amazing here ... as would some lemon zest).


 Devour with croutons and parmesan cheese on top, and a frosty beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment