Thursday, June 30, 2011

Asian Style Cabbge Slaw (for tacos)

Okay so this would be delicious as a side dish to a stir-fry or a barbecue, but it was DELICIOUS as a topper to our Asian style tacos ... delicious.

I improvised a satay-style sauce for this slaw.  I think it turned out really great, if I do say so myself.

Ingredients
1 small head green cabbage, shredded as per coleslaw
2 T. peanut butter (creamy is what we have -- use what you have)
1 T. rice wine vinegar
1 T. mirin
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. soy sauce (reduced sodium, if you're into that sorta thing)
Black pepper (about 1/2 tsp)
1 - 2 T. freshly-grated ginger
1 T. brown sugar
1 - 2 T. fresh mint leaves, chopped
cilantro (handful), chopped
2 green onions, sliced

Combine everything except cabbage in a medium bowl using a whisk.  The peanut butter might take awhile to fully blend, but it will if you keep at it (if you're whisking for more than a minute, please stop and just go with what you have - I promise it will be okay).

Add the cabbage and toss to combine.  Let it set for an hour or more to develop flavors, adding more fresh mint if you happen to have any more.  It's delicious with additional mint.  Also? Sriracha.  Please enjoy -- you will not be disappointed.

If you so desire, you can absolutely use a bag of pre-cut coleslaw mix.  I added some shredded carrots on the side with our tacos in order to keep their carrot-y flavor distinct.  Please do what you like.  My husband does not enjoy green onion (I did not tell them this had green onion and he ate it anyway) so please use the things that you like.  My 3 year old helped me make this and kept eating so much I was worried we wouldn't have enough left for tacos.  We did.

No comments:

Post a Comment