Sunday, March 4, 2012

Bea's Casserole

About 100 years ago, I dated someone whose mom was a great "comfort foods" type of cook.  She is the same of the Chili Soup recipe.

Anyway, one time I went to their house (conveniently located 2 blocks from my place) and she had made this casserole known only as "Bea's Casserole" for the great-Aunt/distant cousin/grandmother who came up with the recipe.

I had to have the recipe.  I was 22 years old and I was making this casserole at least once a month for myself (it lasted about a week -- and, like many things I enjoy, is an excellent vehicle for hot sauce).  This casserole could be to blame for my 15 lb weight gain that year, but it was fun getting there.

I don't make it often and, now that I think of it, I've never made it for Geoff.  So it's been at least 7 years since I've made this.

But as I am due to give birth at any time (so they tell me), I need comfort food.  And something to cook that's easy and will last awhile.  Something I know the kids (and Geoff) will enjoy.  Something I know I will want after I have this baby (hoping he comes very, very soon).

So, I'm going to make Bea's Casserole.  And I haven't so much as been to the grocery store yet, and I can't wait for dinner.

I'm typing this out the way I received it, which is why the layout might look different from usual.  I feel that some recipes, particularly family ones, deserve -- at the very least -- a modicum of respect.  Enjoy.

Ingredients

2 12 oz bags of wide noodle pasta (any brand will do)
2 regular size cans cream of mushroom soup
16 oz sour cream (must be whole fat)
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 can sliced water chestnuts
2 boxes sliced fresh mushrooms
1 diced onion
dill (fresh)
parmesan cheese
olive oil
3 T. butter
whole milk or cream
PAM
salt/pepper

1. Boil noodles to al dente, then drain
2. Brown ground beef, then drain
3. Add sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, diced onion, and cooked noodles to ground beef.  Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spray (large) baking pan with PAM
5. Add half of casserole to baking pan
6. Sprinkle casserole in pan with dill
7. Layer water chestnuts and mushrooms over casserole in pan
8. Add rest of casserole to baking pan
9. Drizzle with olive oil
10. Dot with chunks of butter
11. Pour milk or cream around edge of casserole (this is optional to add moisture)
12. Top with LOTS of parmesan cheese
13. Bake at 350 for 45 min. to 1 hour, or until golden brown

No comments:

Post a Comment