Thursday, June 30, 2011

Asian Style Pork Tacos

Okay so I confess ... I totally got this idea from Duncan of Porter's on the Go.  I am in LOVE with his pork char siu tacos.

After spending yesterday looking up (and drooling over) recipes, I decided to just improvise and come up with something that'd be close and satisfying (without the drive into SLO).

Here's what I did (and, yes, I realize this is somewhat fussy but reducing the sauce is wholly worthwhile for the intense flavor it brings to the meat .. if you are feeling tired, feel free to not do that step, but - I am telling you - you wil be rewarded if you do):

Ingredients
Pork butt (3 lbs or so - yes, mine was smallish - if you want larger, just up the other ingredients a smidge)
1/4 cup soy sauce (reduced sodium if you're into that sorta thing)
1/4 c. hoisin
1 - 2 T. freshly-grated ginger
2 tsp Chinese Five Spice (mine is freshly-grated dry spices, so I use 1 tsp, but if it's already ground you will want to use 2 tsp to get the right potency)
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. lemon juice
1 - 2 T. mirin (honestly I don't remember how much I put in -- somewhere around 1 - 2 T will be fine)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 green onion, sliced
1 tsp garlic powder

Cut the pork into about 4 or 5 pieces, keeping the bone attached to one of the pieces (hello: bones = flavortown).  Add the rest of the ingredients to your crock pot and mix to combine.  Add the pork, turning to coat, and set on low for about 6 or 7 hours (turning halfway through if you're able.  If not? Don't worry about it! It'll still be totally delicious.)

After 6 hours, check to make sure the pork is done by sticking a fork in a piece and turning.  If it shreds easily, it's done.  If not, let it go a little while longer.  (Hint: it should be done after 7 hours at the most).

Here's the fussy part -- using a ladle, remove the liquid (as much as you can) to a 1.5 quart saucepan.  Set on high, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and let reduce for about an hour so the flavors intensify and the sauce becomes somewhat thick.  (It won't be totally thick because of the pork fat, but -- so help me God -- if you drain that pork fat I will never talk to you again. I am serious.)

When you are ready to serve, shred the pork and put on a corn tortilla, top with a little bit of the sauce, some asian slaw (recipe to follow), shredded carrots, cilantro, green onion, Sriracha, radish and on the side ... please -- I am begging you -- a very cold beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment