Monday, June 27, 2011

River "Casserole"

This dish was a staple of the Johnson family whenever we'd spend our yearly two weeks camping at King's river. The flavors are so simple and just scream summertime for me.  I recently served it for my father in law and he ate two helpings, telling me "I used to hate squash, but this is so delicious! What is that on here?"  My husband had told me the same thing the week prior.

You MUST serve sourdough with it to sop up the delicious liquor that forms at the bottom of the pan.  Drinking it after eating is also highly encouraged.

Ingredients:
2 summer squash, sliced into 1/2" slices (zucchini, yellow, mexican - whatever is on sale)
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 - 3 cloves garlic, chopped (not minced, for fear it may burn)
2 tomatoes, sliced
Dried dill (yes, dried)
Dried basil (yes, dried -- seriously)
Salt/Pepper
EVOO

Set burner to medium-high and add the evoo. Once evoo is hot, add the onion and garlic and let cook in the oil for about a minute (just chop the other veggies while it cooks and that'll be the perfect amount of time).

Then layer into the pan, in this order, the squash, a generous amount of the dried herbs, salt and pepper, then the tomatoes, then more salt and pepper and more dried herbs.

Put on the lid, turn the heat to low, and cook for about 20 minutes until squash is done to desired doneness.

Some members of my family enjoy putting cheese on top of this dish, but I prefer it as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment