Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Succotash, sufferin'

I will admit to having been inspired to make this dish by a (gasp) Woman's Day recipe.

What?  The recipes in that mag -- while simple -- are really quite impressive and delicious.  Better than most I've seen on the Internet.  Of course, I believe if I told Ruth Reichl the end of Gourmet magazine (moment of silence) would have driven me thus, she might bring it back ... I can dream, no?

In any event, succotash is one of those summertime dishes that just FEEL right ... you've got all this fresh produce and not a lot of desire to be at the stove and -- for me -- it's all the right size (and taste) for small children to devour at dinnertime.  Win, win, win.

This is what I did (all chopped vegetables were cut the same size as the lima beans):

3 slices thick bacon, cut into 1/8" slices (omit this or add more - it's your table, not mine)
2 T. butter
1 16 oz bag frozen lima beans, defrosted (yes you can use fresh; however, I am not nearly so fussy)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
2 - 3 cloves garlic, rough chopped
1 - 2 ears corn, removed from the cob (if you used canned or frozen, you'd be forgiven. I promise.)
1 squash, chopped
Salt/Pepper/Dried basil
Heavy cream and a little water *OR* half and half (about 1/2 cup)

Note: If you have fresh basil, please -- by all means -- use fresh basil.  I just didn't have any and I happen to like the unique flavor of dried basil.  I am not ashamed.

While the kids are napping, chop the vegetables and set the lima beans out to defrost.

When husband comes home from work, start bacon in a cold pan and turn heat to medium-high.  Once bacon has rendered, remove bacon (try not to eat -- you're gonna want to add it back in later) and add the butter to the pan.  Once the butter has melted, add all the veggies and herb/salt/pepper ((If using fresh basil - please wait to add at the very end)) to the pan and stir -- lazily (meaning, like, 4 times total) -- for about 6 minutes until veggies start to soften and the onion doesn't look quite so "raw".

This is when you add the cream and water (which is what I had on hand) or some half and half.  Stir.  Put a lid on the pan, turn the heat to low, and let simmer for about 12 minutes until lima beans are soft, but corn still has "crunch".

Add more salt/pepper/basil to taste (add red pepper flakes, too, if you're into that sort of thing).  Add the bacon back in (if there's any left after snacking).

Devour.

This is the finished product. I used a Mexican "grey" squash I had in the fridge. And only 1 ear of corn. It is very delicious.
Certainly if you have some tomatoes lying around, you can add them after everything has cooked down -- just chop up and stir into the warm succotash, letting the heat slightly "wilt" the tomatoes.  They will add a great bit of "brightness" to the dish.  I am saving my tomato for River Casserole later this week ... so mine went without.  You really can't go wrong with this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment