Monday, June 27, 2011

Microwave Corn on the Cob (yes, really)

Certain members of my family (to whom I have given birth) would eat corn on the cob every meal, and since we can't grill it every day (and we have no working a/c), I had to figure out a way to cook it that didn't require bringing a pot of water to the boil in the middle of the summer.

I Googled.  I tested.  And I found a method that works GREAT and the best part is? It's ready (though screaming hot) in 8 minutes.

Ingredients
2 ears of corn (not shucked)
2 paper towels
Water

Run the ears of corn under water, making sure to soak them as much as possible (don't get too neurotic about how much time you're spending on this -- 30 seconds is more than enough time).

Wrap each ear of corn in 1 sheet of paper towel (yes, it should be wet and no, it might not cover it completely and that's okay) and place both on a plate.  Microwave on high for 8 minutes.

Let sit in the microwave for a minute or two and then remove.

It will be screaming hot, so use caution, but it will be perfectly steamed.

My 3 year old ate 1.5 ears yesterday.  Cold from the fridge.  Without so much as a how do you do from any butter, salt or pepper.

We will be eating a lot of corn prepared this way this summer.

The best part? The silk and the husks come off very easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment